America is celebrating National Agriculture Week, which runs March 10-16.
Congressman Jim Hagedorn says we are one of the top crop and livestock producing districts in the nation.
Hagedorn: “National Agriculture Week provides an opportunity to recognize the important contributions of southern Minnesota’s agricultural producers, processors and ag-equipment manufacturers. On average, one U.S. farm feeds 165 people annually, the impact of our farmers reaches throughout the United States and across the globe.”
Five facts about Minnesota’s contributions to agriculture:
- Minnesota produces more turkeys than any other state.
- Minnesota is the fourth largest agricultural exporting state in the nation.
- Minnesota’s First District is the second largest hog producing congressional district in the country (and hogs are Minnesota’s top livestock export).
- Soybeans are Minnesota’s top agricultural export commodity, contributing 30 percent of Minnesota’s total agriculture exports.
- Minnesota’s First District is home to nearly 20,000 farms.