It’s National Sandwich Day. (As in the food of course . . . not an all-black-wearing, beachcombing conjurer.) (???) So what exactly are we celebrating? It may seem obvious, but there IS some ambiguity. A website recently conducted a poll asking people if various things ARE or ARE NOT sandwiches.
Here are the results, ranked by approval:
- A PB&J: 98% say YES. A lot of people even call it a “peanut butter and jelly sandwich.” It’s right there in the name!
- Breakfast Bagels: 87% say YES.
- Burgers: 62% say YES.
- Avocado Toast: 38% say YES.
- Eggs Benedict: 27% say YES. Like as an open-face sandwich?
- Hot Dogs: This one is a classic question. 26% say YES.
- Gyros: 19% say YES.
- Burritos: 12% say YES.
- Tacos: 10% say YES.
- Quesadillas: 8% say YES.
- Empanadas: 6% say YES.
- Wraps: 6% say YES. It’s strange that burritos get twice as much support as wraps . . . because wraps are usually just rolled-up sandwiches, while burritos are, well, burritos.
- Calzones: 5% say YES.
- Ravioli (???): Just 2% say YES. C’mon people, they were clearly just seeing who was paying attention.